Instant Pot Mashed Red Potatoes are buttery, garlicky and so easy to make! No peeling, no dicing and they come out perfectly every time!
INSTANT POT MASHED RED POTATOES
These mashed potatoes are loaded with flavor and so easy in the Instant Pot! I have a recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes that I love! I wondered if I could use the same technique, basically steaming the potatoes whole, with skin on red potatoes. It worked perfectly! Once the potatoes are cooked through, they are so tender they mash up in a snap. The Instant Pot also makes killer Instant Pot Potato Salad, it’s one of my favorites!
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 1/2 cups half and half warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion diced
- Start by scrubbing 5 pounds of red potatoes well and piercing the skin a few times on each potato with a fork. Then place potatoes on a steamer rack in a 6QT Instant Pot and add 1 1/2 cups of water to the potatoes.
- Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes, then let Instant Pot Natural Pressure Release. While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a small pan on the stove with two whole garlic cloves to infuse butter with garlic flavor. Let sit until potatoes are ready to mash. Garlic will continue to flavor the butter as it sits.
- Use cooking tongs to carefully remove hot potatoes. Remove steaming rack and discard any leftover cooking water. Return poatoes to Instant Pot and mash with garlic butter, discarding whole garlic pieces. Then stir in warm half and half followed by sour cream, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and green onions.