This Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl has all of the great flavor of Egg Rolls, but it’s a sure to please Easy One Pan Meal without the carbs and grains of typical egg roll wrappers.
I found the inspiration for this recipe about a year or so ago. Someone had shared a recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl in a Facebook group and I was super intrigued. What a concept! I’d always loved egg rolls but hadn’t had one in a long time due to our going gluten-free and even leaning grain-free.
Egg Roll in a Bowl – low carb, gluten free, AIP option
This Healthy Egg Roll in a Bowl has all of the great flavor of Egg Rolls, but it’s an Easy One Pan Meal without the grain wrapper!
- 1 1/2 lbs organic ground beef
- 2 med onions (finely chopped / minced)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp organic unrefined sesame oil (use another oil for AIP)
- 1 1/2 tsp organic ginger (powdered)
- 1/2 tsp organic black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tsp organic garlic granules (or 4 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/16 tsp stevia extract (optional – substituting with another sweetener will work as well)
- 1/2 Tbsp organic crushed red pepper (optional. Omit for AIP)
- 2 Tbsp organic white wine (omit or substitute more broth for AIP)
- 1/3 cup organic beef broth (see vegan option above)
- 9 cups shredded cabbage (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 4 tsp organic tamari (or to taste – see substitute options above)
- Green onion for garnish (optional)
- Place meat in large pan and cook until browned.
- On medium high heat, add the onions and sesame oil. Cook until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add spices, sweetener, red pepper, wine, and broth to the pan and stir well.
- Add the cabbage and stir to coat.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the cabbage slightly wilts.
- Add carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add tamari to taste and adjust flavorings as desired.
- Serve plain or over rice or cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.