These vegan lettuce wraps are a quick, easy, and healthy meal that everybody loves! As good as PF Chang’s famous lettuce wraps, this recipe is full of veggies and protein, and they’re low carb and gluten free too! They work great as an appetizer or a light meal and they can be made in less than 15 minutes start to finish!
Kids Love these Lettuce wraps!
These lettuce wraps are a great way to get lots of veggies into your kids. Since they are copped up so tiny, and they are cooked in the sweet and savory sauce, my kids happily eat them!
- 3 cups chopped vegetables of choice broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, or zucchini.
- 1 can water chestnuts drained
- 2 TBS sesame oil
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu drained and pressed (or any vegan meat substitute chopped in small pieces.)
- 12 large Romaine or bib lettuce leaves washed with the root end cut off
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 3 TBS Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1-2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro or other fresh herbs like green onions, or basil.
- Wash and cut your choice of veggies into large pieces (Cut out the seeds and white stuff inside the bell peppers) and put them into a large food processor
- Drain the water chestnuts and add to the food processor and hit pulse about 10 times until it’s all chopped into very small pieces.
- Put sesame oil in the bottom of a skillet and turn on to medium heat.
- Add the chopped veggies to the skillet and stir frequently for about 3-5 minutes.
- Crumble the drained, pressed tofu into the skillet with the veggies.
- Make the sauce – mix the mirin, Braggs, ginger, and garlic then drizzle it over the veggies and tofu.
- Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies are just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Use a food processor to quickly chop the veggies into very small pieces.
- If using zucchini, only add a small amount (about 1/2 cup) or your mixture will be too wet.
- If you want them spicy, add 1 tsp of sriracha or Chili Garlic Sauce to the dressing.