Chickpea scramble is the perfect effortless vegan breakfast option. It’s naturally soy and gluten-free, high in protein, and full of flavor. Plus, it requires just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes to make!
If you’re looking for a delicious meal to get your day started right, look no further! This chickpea scramble recipe checks all of the boxes 😉
Finding a delicious savory vegan breakfast that’s also soy-free can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. A lot of the store bought options contain soy, so a soy-free breakfast usually requires you to make things from scratch and that seems daunting to some people, us included. Thankfully, options like chickpea scramble make it easier than ever.]
The scramble that we are sharing today is only 5-ingredients, but think of this as a base that you can customize to your liking. Add veggies, greens, vegan cheese and even other seasonings will definitely take this to the next level.
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- 1/4 teaspoon kala namak (Indian black salt, for “eggy” flavor)
- 1 tablespoon oil, for cooking
- Salt and black pepper, as desired
Serve with (optional)
- Breakfast Potatoes
- Steamed Spinach
- Add all of the ingredients except for the black salt to a medium sized bowl and whisk until smooth. Add more chickpea flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to thicken. The mixture should be the consistency of a pancake batter.
- Heat a medium nonstick pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of oil (recommended). Once warmed, add in the batter. Cook, mixing often, until the mixture reaches the consistency of scrambled eggs, about 4-6 minutes. It will seem like it is too wet at first but if you keep cooking it, it will eventually dry out into the scramble consistency. We suggest when you mix it, to press it down into a thin layer so that it all cooks evenly. If it piles up into a “ball of dough”, it will not cook all the way through.
- Sprinkle in the black salt and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve warm. We served ours alongside our vegan breakfast potatoes.